DD Form 214

By | September 11, 2016

If you’ve ever served in the military, you’ll know firsthand that everything you see and do will be recorded in one way or another. Your entry into the military will be recorded in one document, while the actions you carry out will be recorded by another. And of course, the DD Form 214 will be utilized when you retire or are discharged from the army. The document is utilized by all major branches of the American Army, including the Air Force, Coast Guard, Navy, and Marine Corps.


The 214 Form can into being in the 1950s. It replaced the WD AGO form. From that point former, this document has been used to keep track of each soldier’s reason for leaving the military, whether it is retirement, discharge or separation. The document is used to know why the soldier left, while also making sure veterans are able to acquire the benefits that they’re entitled to.

Getting A Copy

If you served and lost your discharge papers, you’ll need to reobtain them as quickly as possible. The best way to do this is by proceeding to the eBenefits website, which is maintained by the Department of Veterans Affairs and the DoD. There, you will be able to acquire an electronic copy of the document for free. Alternatively, you can contact the Military Personnel Records Center by mail for a paper copy.